Provide expert care for cats and dogs! Kirk and Bistner's Handbook of Veterinary Procedures and Emergency Treatment, 9th Edition covers not only the management of emergency conditions, but also strategies for dealing with hundreds of routine diagnostic and treatment challenges in small animals. Its user-friendly format provides instant access to vital information -- making it an ideal resource in emergency situations -- and it is conveniently organized by both body systems and presenting signs to help you easily reach a diagnosis and determine a treatment plan for all clinical situations. Written by veterinary experts Richard Ford and Elisa Mazzaferro, Kirk and Bistner's Handbook of Veterinary Procedures and Emergency Treatment provides current guidelines for small animal emergency care and the diagnostic procedures most commonly performed in a busy, team-oriented practice.
New to this Edition
Quick Reference boxes include potential causes of each clinical abnormality and associated signs, step-by-step diagnostic plans, and clinical algorithms.
- The latest vaccination guidelines include protocols for dogs and cats at low, medium, and high risk of exposure to infectious diseases.
- Updated coverage keeps you current with the latest on pain assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Step-by-step instructions and illustrations are provided for all major emergency and non-emergency clinical procedures.
- A logical, easy-to-use format lists all emergency conditions in alphabetical order, and includes quick reference boxes calling out key information such as clinical tips and cautions.
- Clear, concise guidelines help you evaluate clinical signs and laboratory test data.
- Clinical algorithms make it easier to identify and treat abnormalities.
- Guidelines for assessment and treatment include practical advice and solutions, how to examine the small animal patient using a body systems and problem list approach, and a review of basic diagnostic procedures used in daily practice.
- Coverage of toxicological emergencies describes how to manage exposures and poisonings.
- A quick reference guide to the management of the emergency patient is conveniently located on the inside cover.
- A comprehensive drug formulary makes lookup easy, and includes proprietary names, actions/use of each drug, formulations, recommended dosages, and special precautions, with emergency medications highlighted for fast reference.
- This all-in-one reference includes practical coverage of emergency procedures, physical assessment in sickness and health, routine and advanced testing procedures, diagnostic tests sampling, preparation, procedures, and interpretation.
Richard B. Ford and Elisa Mazzaferro
Paperback, 784 pp; 6.1in x 9.3in; 2 lbs; August 2011
Shipped by Elsevier